commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Oxley, David" <David.Ox...@workplace-systems.plc.uk>
Subject [collections] New Collection
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:06:37 GMT
Our application has just changed from requiring JDK 1.1 to JDK 1.3 as a
minimum. As a result we are looking at switching our implementation of using
Hashtable and Vector to using collections.

I am going to write a new collection that gives the functionality we require
and once I've finished I want to donate it to commons-collections. I would
like some comments on where to start (especially as I don't yet know too
much about the standard collections API's). The functionality I require is
this: 1. Keys and values. ala Hashtable. 2. Ordering by value. ala Vector.
3. Indexing by value. ala Vector's indexOf, elementAt and insertElementAt.
4. Transactions. i.e. Others won't see changes until commit is called.

I take it there is no implementation that supplies the above. I was
initially thinking of either encapsulating or overriding TreeMap, but I
think that would make the indexing part pretty difficult. But now I think I
will just encapsulate or override HashMap.

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers.
Dave.
david.oxley@workplace-systems.plc.uk

http://www.star.net.uk