commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils] some ideas
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:25:34 GMT
On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 08:43 AM, Sgarlata Matt wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

>> Solutions could be either:
>>
>> 1) Improve the system for the mapping converters so it is many-to-many.
>>
>> 2) Create a hierarchy structure. A ConvertUtilsBeansConverter could be
>> plugged in to handle a class, and would contain its own batch of
>> Converters.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> I think the Converter interface is fine, but could perhaps use some better
> documentation and examples (in the JavaDoc... the converters in the
> distribution seem more general-purpose than will be the converters a user
> needs to create).  I do like the idea of adding a new
> ConvertUtils.register(Converter, Class from, Class to) method.

this (and related issues) have come up before. i've thought about this
quite a lot and i'm in favour of making the conversion pluggable strategy.
  this would allow both different and more sophisticated conversion
algorithms to be created without breaking backwards compatibility. i don't
realistically have the time to go about the creation of new
implementations right now but i can certainly point people in the right
direction if they want to go down this route.

BTW stephen has talked before about creating a separate component that
would provide sophisticated solutions to the issue posed by conversion. it
might be a good idea to involve him in any design discussions. i now also
that ted (of struts fame) is interested in the conversion problem so there
may be enough momentum to at least think about creating a dedicated
component.

- robert