commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [doc] how to release - feedback
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:50:38 GMT
On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:21 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Couple of points. Signing suggests gpg and summing suggests md5sum. These
> are both linux tools and as Apache doesn't have any linux boxes it makes
> more sense to me if the instructions are usable on Minotaur.

i've always been very reluctant to advocate running any application on
daedelus that can be run elsewhere. might be different now that we're on
minotaur. i'd say that it'd be best running this past infrastructure
before changing the instructions.

> md5sum should be changed to md5

possibly. i prefer openssl. again, adding as an option is cool. removing
md5sum is a little less so.

> gpg should be changed to pgp

does an openPGP compatible pgp even work on freeBSD? (sorry if i'm
displaying my ignorance.)

i run gpg fine on linux and macOSX. the web site says that it supported on
freeBSD, openBSD and netBSD (at least for x86 architecture). if you want
to add instructions about pgp then that'd be cool but i'd prefer to retain
the gpg instructions since it's a an implementation of the OpenPGP
standard.

> [and options need testing etc]
>
> What do you think?

i'd prefer to add options rather than replace existing ones. (saves us
getting into problems about what's official.) but i don't feel strongly
enough to -1.

- robert