commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>
Subject Re: [collections] CollectionUtils.index() behavior
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:23:25 GMT
I don't understand why we are obligated to keep _any_ method.  If we
don't like it, why not deprecate it for 3.0 and remove in 4.0?

I hear a lot of this in commons, that things can't be changed or removed
due to backwards compatibility.  I think it's unfortunate that methods
and concepts defined in a 2.0 version of a component must live on for
its entire life, no matter how outdated or inconsistent they are.

Isn't this what major-numbered releases are for?  To make revolutionary
changes when needed?  I think a more aggressive attitude toward change,
when necessary, can be of great benefit to not only the component
itself, but also the users, if we can get past the momentary annoyance
of change.  I may be naive, but I still think that change can be good.