commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [all] Best practice for maven dependencies.
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:38:52 GMT
Hi everyone,

We [math] have been trying to figure out the best proactice for setting
up our Maven dependencies for the math project. currently we've been
using both SNAPSHOT and release jars as dependencies.

Two possible paths:

1.) set dependencies to SNAPSHOT, always resolve errors that may arise
as dependencies are developed in real time.

2.) set dependencies to a specific version number, track all dependency
projects and update as new releases arise, resolve bugs against new
release prior to commiting dependency on that release.

Finally,

 From my understanding, Maven will resolve SNAPSHOTS to thier proper
build number when creating the distribution, so when the distribution is
produced it will resolve to the versioned jar properly. But I'm not sure
if this is even usefull for a commons component where the real product
is the actual jar file and not the distribution tar ball.

The issues that seem to arise have to do with not getting too far ahead
of, or behind of, the present development state of our dependences.

Any recommendations and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer