commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Shaposhnikov <...@tut.by>
Subject Re: [configuration] Missed an email about providing a good AbstractConfiguration class
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:30:28 GMT
Hello.

Here is my previous mail:
---
I've tried to create my own Configuration class which loads properties
from database. Because I don't want to implement all methods from
Configuration interface by myself I decide to extend my class from
BaseConfiguration and found that it is not easy task.

All methods which retrieve properties call private method
resolveContainerStore, which directly access store Map in which
BaseConfiguration store properties. So if I only want to change way how
properties retrieved from underlying data store I also need to override
all getProperty methods (JNDIConfiguration implemented in this way).

There is easy solution for this problem. We can add new protected method
in BaseConfiguration which provide way to retrieve property values (and
call it f.e. getPropertyDirect) and replace all occurrence of accessing
store map with call to this method.

What do you think about it?
---

Also I have some more comments about implementation of BaseConfiguration
class. May be we can discuss them too. I think that all getProperty
methods should behave similar.

Now methods getBoolean, getByte, getDouble, getFloat, getInt, getLong,
getShort which take only key as argument (without default value) throw
NoSuchElementException if there is no element associated with given key,
but getString and getObject methods behave different - they simply
return null.

Also I think that method getProperty(String key, Object defaultValue)
also can be useful.