commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Chain] examples XML file available?
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:52:14 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> All of the above use cases could be covered by a ChainServlet to load
> the config stuff and store it in a servlet context attribute.  That
> doesn't help the non-web case, but a default solution that uses a static
> singleton might work out ok there.

It just occurred to me that I have a non-web case on my desk now. It
converts a file scraped from a HTML page into a couple of fixed-length
files that are imported into a database. Problem is, the government
agency that creates the HTML page tweaks the format now and again, or
adds new information, which makes maintenance an ongoing issue. This
seems like a good use for the CoR architechture, since each Command can
scan for one of the many possible input formats. If it's not yours, pass
it along =:)

I've a maintenance ticket open for this now, so I'll think I'll migrate
it to Chain. The best part is that the application is already fully
tested, and so it will be a good show of using Unit Tests in a non-web
applicaton too.

-Ted.