commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [collections] BidiMap / DoubleOrderedMap
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:21:52 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> A BidiMap interface has just been checked in as a starter. It has
> - getKey(Object value)
> - removeKey(Object value)
> - inverseBidiMap()
>
> I personally prefer Bidi, because its easier to manage simply from length. I
> think the name needs to be one word, otherwise implementation names get
> confusing. And Invertable doesn't work for me.

OK. I guess "Bijective" won't work for you either ;-)  No big deal.

> The implementation names are formed by
> <internalOfImpl><interfaceName>
> dropping 'Sorted' from the interface name if it is present.
>
> 'TreeBidiMap' thus results from the RedBlack Tree implementation +
> SortedBidiMap name.

Thanks for clarifying. This makes sense.

Regarding the current impl, the inverseBidiMap() requirement might push
things to the point where a dual-tree implementation makes sense,
allowing us to dispense with the custom RedBlack implementation and just
use JDK TreeMaps.  Something to think about.

Phil