commons-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Daemon] some thoughts on commons-daemon
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:07:53 GMT
Daniel Resare wrote:

> Hello friends
>
> I saw that commons-daemon was promoted out of the sandbox ant I thought
> I'd give it a spin. After having spent some time reading the source and
> getting the SimpleDaemon to work I have some questions and thoughts.
>
> 1) The webpage for commsons-daemon says the issue handling is on a
> scarab server, but having logged in there I found no issue category
> matching commons-daemon, so I used http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
> instead when filing some issues. Is that the correct thing to do?

Use BZ :)

> 2) I can't really say that I fully understand the daemon api.
>
> Why does the Daemon implementor have access to it's DaemonController
> instance? My guess is that it is to be able to communicate an exception
> from inside of the daemon to its environment, but in that case a single
> fail()-method that takes a Throwable or subclass of it would be enough.

I don't know, as I don't use the Java API of the daemon.

> Why is there no reload() method of the Daemon interface? It seems like
> sending SIGHUP to jsvc translates to calls to stop() and start(), but
> that is semantically different from how most programs other programs
> handle SIGHUP.

I don't see a point. Stop + start is good enough IMO. reload adds
complexity.

> What is the difference between stop() and destroy() in the Daemon
> interface?

Destroy is for releasing all resources. For example, a daemon may want
keep its server socket open on stop (since it can't be reopened unless
you are root - the main goal of daemon is to sove the
port-80-without-root problem).

> 3) Just out of curiosity, what does jsvc stand for?

Java service maybe.

Remy