commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [beanutils][lang] BeanFactory Proposal
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:30:31 GMT
On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 11:25 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> [lang] did have a Factory class in it for a while, but in the end we
> decided
> that the versions in [collections] and [functor] covered things better
> than
> a generic case in [lang] could.
>
> However, there has been talk of kicking off a [convert] project to handle
> solely the issue of converting one type to another type. Typcially this
> would be String to Object and vice versa, but Bean creation could fall
> here
> too.
>
> Obviously [convert] steps on the toes of the [beanutils] conversion code.
> So, we'll have to see if it ever happens.

i'm not too sure about that. there have been frequent requests from
beanutils users for more comprehensive conversion but i've observed that
there's a lack of agreement about what this actually means. so, i've come
to the conclusion that it'd be better for beanutils to support basic
conversions but allow different implementations to be plugged in.

in particular, i think that people would like a component that offers a
solution including the very thorny subject of dates. i have a feeling that
including this in beanutils would involve drifting away from the tight
focus that good commons components display.

- robert