commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject [collections] deprecate CursorableLinkedList?
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:03:54 GMT
If there are no complaints, I'd like to deprecate CursorableLinkedList for
the 3.0 collections release, to be removed in the 4.0 release.

CursorableLinkedList provides a List implementation that supports a type
of Iterator (called a Cursor) that isn't bothered by concurrent
modifications--you can safely add or remove items before or after the
current location of the cursor and the cursor will simply see the current
status of the list when it gets there.

While this functionality works fine, it's too complicated by half, and
there are bugs in other areas of the interface (well, the only bug I'm
aware of is that it isn't really Serializable, despite what the interface
claims.)

I suspect that commons-pool is the only consumer of this class, where it
is used to walk through the set of pooled objects while borrowObject or
returnObjct calls may asynchronously modify the underlying list.  By
deprecating (and eventually removing) this class, we could either move
CursorableLinkedList over to pool, or (my preference) replace the
CursorableLinkedList with a significantly simpler but slightly less
predictable approach (like iterating via list.get(counter++%list.size()),
but that's a topic for another thread.

Contrariwise, if we'd like to keep CursorableLinkedList, we should either
fix the Serialization or remove the "implements Serializable" part of the
class declaration.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>