commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/resources build-legacy.xml build.xml
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 01:18:11 GMT
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, David Graham wrote:

> > the maven build becomes the primary, maintained build. the old
> > hand-written ant build file becomes the legacy build.
>
> So, does Maven generate an ant build.xml file for you?  If so, I assume
> you could build a mavenized project with just ant and the build.xml?

Yes, Maven builds the build.xml for you ("maven ant:generate-build"), to
reflect whatever your current Maven build process does.  The normal habit
is to regenerate and check in the build.xml file whenever you make changes
in your build process, for those of us (including my nightly build scripts
:-) that still require Ant.

If/when we switch Struts builds to use Maven, we're going to want to do
the same thing, which is why Ted's advice about doing this on a *new*
repository is probably better than trying to retrofit a build environment
as complicated as the Struts 1.1 one has grown.

Craig