commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark H. Wilkinson" <mhw-commons-...@kremvax.net>
Subject Re: [jexl] size method unit test failing
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:30:55 GMT
On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 13:51, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I think that just using size() is the right way to go.

The only reason I can see to support foo.length for arrays is if the JSP
expression language supports it, on the basis that Jexl claims to be an
extension of the JSP expression language. I can't see an explicit
statement that foo.length should be treated specially in the section of
the JSP 2.0 spec that describes evaluation of . and [], so my conclusion
is that it's not supposed to be part of the standard expression
language. Does anyone have evidence to the contrary? If not then I agree
with geir that the size function would do.

On a related point, JSTL 1.1 has added some standard functions to the
expression language, but they've gone for a length() function rather
than the size() function that Jexl had introduced. Would it make sense
to deprecate size() in favour of length() and JSP EL/JSTL compatibility?

-Mark.