commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [HiveMind] naming update
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:14:38 GMT
As currently implemented, services and configurations are distinct.  They are in separate
namespaces.  You can have a service and a configuration in the same module.  If they are related,
it
would only be because code (or BuilderFactory) connected them.

Configurations have a <schema> element to describe what contributions into the configuration
look
like.

Some, not all, some services can take parameters.  This is used only by service implementation
factories and service interceptor factories.  Those have a <parameters-schema> element
for defining
those parameters.  The parameters-schema defines the content of either the <invoke-factory>
element,
or the <interceptor> element (depending on the type of factory).

Just as we can define a service (i.e, Adder) that has no configuration, it makes sense to
me to have
a configuration that has no service. Perhaps that will be rare in the field, but I think not.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components