commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <>
Subject RE: [HiveMind] naming update
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:14:38 GMT
As currently implemented, services and configurations are distinct.  They are in separate
namespaces.  You can have a service and a configuration in the same module.  If they are related,
would only be because code (or BuilderFactory) connected them.

Configurations have a <schema> element to describe what contributions into the configuration

Some, not all, some services can take parameters.  This is used only by service implementation
factories and service interceptor factories.  Those have a <parameters-schema> element
for defining
those parameters.  The parameters-schema defines the content of either the <invoke-factory>
or the <interceptor> element (depending on the type of factory).

Just as we can define a service (i.e, Adder) that has no configuration, it makes sense to
me to have
a configuration that has no service. Perhaps that will be rare in the field, but I think not.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components