commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject [HiveMind] Forming the community
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:42:40 GMT
Based on the feedback I've received from you and from interested parties with Jakarta and Jakarta
Commons, I believe this is how it can roll out.

External developers can contribute patches.  By external, this means people who don't already
have
Jakarta privileges.

Those with Jakarta privileges should already have access to the HiveMind CVS repository, that's
the
nature of the Jakarta Commons Sandbox.

subject.

We can worry about promotion out of the sandbox later.  Another possibility is moving the
source
code under Tapestry (in the Tapestry 3.1 time frame).

I have HiveMind building locally using Maven 1.0-rc-1 (out of Maven's CVS). I'm going to look
into
refactoring the code base so that there are multiple sub-projects.  Initially, I envision
framework subproject (for the framework and the core services ... which is to say, what's
currently
in CVS). Additionally, we should add a "standard library" module, for useful stuff that doesn't
absolutely have to be in the framework propery and, perhaps, a sandbox module library, for
new code
under less stringent release mechanisms.

I this a good vision?  Or should the other modules become new commons sandbox projects unto
themselves ... or be elsewhere, such as on SourceForge?

What kind of services can we create for the additional libraries?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components