commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: [HIVEMIND] Examples Please?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:29:25 GMT
We're working on the docs and are setup now to provide more and better examples.

HiveMind is very, very new.  If it looks polished, that's a compliment ... and reflects that
many of
the ideas in HiveMind gestated inside Tapestry over the last couple of years.

I'm using HiveMind at work ... I think of it largely as a refactoring tool.  Case study #1
is based
on one usage of HiveMind.  However, its a proprietary application and completely huge.

A module maps to a jar; you'll have multple packages in the jar but only a single HiveMind
module.
If that's a problem, one solution is to refactor your code into more small modules.  HiveMind
really
supports this well, since it (effectively) adds a late binding, where module A defines the
interface, and module B supplies the implementation.

Due to our current build process, we have a similar issue: multiple logical modules that are
packaged together as a single JAR. In an ideal world, there would be a
ClassLoader.getTResourceInFolder("/META-INF/hivemind") ... but there isn't.  Instead, we have
"external descriptors", a directory under WebLogic where we store the extra class loaders;
our
servlet's registry bootstrap code processes all the XML files there as well as those found
normally.
It works well, but is not quite ideal for a clustered EAR deployment; we'll want to graft
something
together for that soon. Possibly, our build system will write a catalog of these external
descriptors into a central file.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components