commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [combo] Commons Core release?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:29:47 GMT

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Tomasz Pik wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > A url to a build is: http://www.apache.org/~bayard/commons-core/
> >
> > I'm doing some trickery to turn BeanUtils' commons-logging dependency into
> > a JDK1.4 util.logging dependency. It would be nice to add Pool, HttpClient
> > and maybe Net [with some regexp trickery] and consider that a version 1.0.
>
> That's something that I think should be avoided.
> Combo (IMHO) should be a jar containing classes/resources voted
> as releases.
> If developer will pick up Combo described by a list of packages
> included, (s)he must be sure that Combo jar may be replaced by
> those packages as they are downloadable jars.
> With such regexp magic it's not so obvious.

I figured the munging would be unlikely to pass muster. The easy solution
is that BeanUtils/Net are not allowed into a combo-distribution until
their dependencies are. So ORO/commons-logging would have to be in it. One
problem there is commons-logging's dependency on log4j, logkit and
avalon-framework.

I suspect Commons-Regexp [merger of ORO/Regexp] is far more likely to
occur and pass the rules I set out than Logging.

Hen