commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Naming
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:20:19 GMT

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> >Tomcat ships with a naming component which is relatively easy to reuse.
> >There has been some talk of moving this Jakarta Commons to encourage
> >reuse.
> >
> >I know that many have expressed interest in doing something like this,
> but
> >is there anyone out there with any strong views either way.
>
> I can see a commons-naming component.  A naming service implementation
> is far from trivial, IMHO, and thus can have many bugs, so having one
> solid jakarta implementation starting off from the mature and tested
> tomcat one seems cool.
>
> I didn't realize the tomcat one is dependent on Tyrex, and that has me a
> bit worried.  Tyrex, while good, hasn't had a release since 1.0 in May
> 2002, and seems to be "dead in the water."  I'd like to be wrong on
> this, though?

Tomcat Naming is dependent on JavaMail, JMX, Tyrex, Commons Collections
and JTA. However, apart from Collections, all the others are only
dependencies for ObjectFactories. JMX is a dependency for a wrapper around
the JNDI.

So the core JNDI implementation itself is just dependent on Collections
[for LRUMap].

Hen