commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: UUID Reuse proposal
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 06:05:51 GMT
Thanks for the positive response to adapting a UUID class in commons lang.
[The Axis list has responded with favoring option 2 which is basically to
not make changes at this time, but has no problem with use of the UUID code
from Axis in the commons.]
I'm looking for direction on next steps - I believe after answering the
following questions; I would create an enhancement in bugzilla and attach
patches or sources?

I think at this time there are two questions to resolve:

~1) Where to place the UUID code.
I personally prefer a package and separate classes as Phil Steitz suggests:
"
>I do like the idea of lang providing a home for "IdentifierUtils" suitably
>named and packaged.  There are really multiple types here:
>
>* UUID (pseudo) standard, non-random, non-secure
>* Random, non-secure, not guaranteed unique (e.g. RandomStringUtils)
>* Random, "secure", not guaranteed unique (e.g. Tomcat session IDs)
>* Part random, "secure", guaranteed unique (what Tomcat really needs ;-)
>* Bounded sequential(e.g. Betwixt's io identifiers)
>* Cyclic"

I believe the alternative is to add the UUID code to the existing
IdentifierUtils.java.
(As a user of the library I believe it would be much easier to locate and so
more valuable to have in a "suitably named  package" of IdentifierUtils.)

~2) Which UUID implementation to use:
Tim Anderson suggested using:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tyrex/tyrex/src/main/tyrex/se
rvices/UUID.java?rev=1.6 I think this is a good suggestion. Does anyone know
if there are any issues with the license on this. It seems it would be okay
as long as this license information were included along with the apache
license in the source. (Would we also need an additional UUID-License.txt?
I'm not sure how to interpret item 2 of license) The alternative is to use
the Axis UUID and add features such as those in Tyrex's later. If a real
issue exists I could try contacting them so find a suitable solution.

The license is inlined here:
#######
/**
 * Redistribution and use of this software and associated documentation
 * ("Software"), with or without modification, are permitted provided
 * that the following conditions are met:
 *
 * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain copyright
 *    statements and notices.  Redistributions must also contain a
 *    copy of this document.
 *
 * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the
 *    above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
 *    following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
 *    materials provided with the distribution.
 *
 * 3. The name "Exolab" must not be used to endorse or promote
 *    products derived from this Software without prior written
 *    permission of Intalio.  For written permission,
 *    please contact info@exolab.org.
 *
 * 4. Products derived from this Software may not be called "Exolab"
 *    nor may "Exolab" appear in their names without prior written
 *    permission of Intalio. Exolab is a registered
 *    trademark of Intalio.
 *
 * 5. Due credit should be given to the Exolab Project
 *    (http://www.exolab.org/).
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY INTALIO AND CONTRIBUTORS
 * ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT
 * NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
 * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
 * INTALIO OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
 * INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
 * (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
 * SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
 * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
 * STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
 * ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
 * OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 *
 * Copyright 1999-2001 (C) Intalio Inc. All Rights Reserved.
#######