commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: UUID Reuse proposal
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:18:46 GMT

+1 on the idea of an Axis class being useful to others and getting 'promoted' to commons.
-1 to adding another jar file dependency to Axis.

My feeling would be: feel free to take the code and put it in commons, but axis should just
sit tight.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 1:40 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Cc: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: UUID Reuse proposal

Tim Reilly wrote:
> I'd like to ask the axis developers to donate the java package
> org.apache.axis.components.uuid to the Jakarta commons.

UUID creation is an important thing in many places (POI?), so, yes,
having a commons impl is a good thing.

The only worry I have is that it adds another core dependency to Axis,
and that makes build, test & use of the system harder. We have lots of
dependencies already, and, especially client-side, some people find this
(and the resultant size of axis) an issue. I have just been busy writing
a reflection based binding to commons-modeler, for example, so that if
that jar is there we can auto-register parts for JMX management, but if
it isnt, all still works.