commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tim OBrien <TOBr...@spirian.com>
Subject RE: [docs] Crappy build system
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 21:42:46 GMT

Henri, +1.  I brought this up before and was told that checking JAR files
into CVS was verboten.  If you are familiar with the process of building the
commons site, you'll recognize this as hot air - we're depending on JARs
checked into the CVS modules of other projects.

> Contributions are always welcome, then maybe the Commons build
> system for the web
> site will go from being very very  crappy, to just crappy.
> ;-) ! Could you elaborate on this ? When you say jars what
> are you referring to ?

He's referring to the fact that one customizes a build.properties which
refers to jar files checked into the velocity project.  Or, (and this was
added only recently), you can point to the same jars which are checked into
the jakarta-site2 module.

> >Is anyone against this? Is there some reason for the current
> >confusing setup?

As a half measure, please check the required JARs into CVS.  From there we
should consider Maven or simply having the build.xml retrieve the JARs from
a URL.