commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Naming
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:57:07 GMT

Howdy,

>Tomcat ships with a naming component which is relatively easy to reuse.
>There has been some talk of moving this Jakarta Commons to encourage
>reuse.
>
>I know that many have expressed interest in doing something like this,
but
>is there anyone out there with any strong views either way.

I can see a commons-naming component.  A naming service implementation
is far from trivial, IMHO, and thus can have many bugs, so having one
solid jakarta implementation starting off from the mature and tested
tomcat one seems cool.

I didn't realize the tomcat one is dependent on Tyrex, and that has me a
bit worried.  Tyrex, while good, hasn't had a release since 1.0 in May
2002, and seems to be "dead in the water."  I'd like to be wrong on
this, though?

Yoav Shapira