commons-dev mailing list archives

From __matthewHawthorne <mhawtho...@alumni.pitt.edu>
Subject Re: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:57:03 GMT
Java 1.5 is going to have a lot of new tricks, such as the auto boxing
and unboxing that you're referring to, also generics, enums, etc.  I've
played with the prototype compiler, and I have to say, the new features
are pretty cool.  It seems that a lot of the things they are providing
have been implemented in some way already in commons.

It appears to be a requirement that all commons code must run on Java
1.2, but I'm not quite sure why.  Why is this?  Maybe comons should
always stay 2 versions behind the current Java version, and bump up to
1.3 once 1.5 comes out... is this possible or desirable?

Another example is Ant... until recently, I think Ant was still required
to run on Java 1.1, but they bumped it up to Java 1.2 for Ant 1.6.
They've just started using Collections... it seems kind of strange.