commons-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Leland <rlel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Process for Sandbox Projects
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:23:07 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Stephen Colebourne [mailto:scolebourne@btopenworld.com]
>>
>>As a warning, my concerns would be the speed of passage
>>through the sandbox. You need to think if you have a
>>community to maintain this in commons proper, and whether
>>people have had enough time to review it.
>>

>My understanding was that I needed to go to commons proper
>before even sending out an alpha release. This put me in

If you use the Major.Minor.Maintenance numbering scheme you can avoid
-initially- calling your software alpha/beta etc ...
It would be 0.4.0 developer release, limited release, general release,
ie Alpha, Beta, Gamma/Production quality.  It avoids the stigma that comes
with the label Alpha. Also I believe it also avoids the
version inflation that happens, version 1.0 - 3.0 in 6 months or less.

-Rob