commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Lang 2.0 release?
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:48:11 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>>the old .properties file format)  I was just writing a note asking if
>>anyone had any objections to the following changes, which will fix this
>>among other things:
>>
>>1. Mods to project.xml:
>>
>>* Restrict tests to Suites run by Ant build (so maven build does not
>>have to run through perf and other tests each time)
>

> Not sure what you mean.
>
> Maven is supposed to run the tests each time we build, so removing some
> from it would seem to be self-destructive?
>
> What is perf? That long test that takes ages?

I meant the EntitiesPerformanceTest or some such.  When I first tried
maven, this test was taking ages.  What I was intending to do was to use

<unitTest>
       <includes>
         <include>**/*TestSuite.java</include>
       </includes>
       <excludes>
         <exclude>**/AllLangTestSuite.java</exclude>
       </excludes>
     </unitTest>

That would make maven run the same tests that ant does now (I think).

> Maybe we should define a separate /src/perf for tests that are only to be
> done at certain times?

+1 -- or use suggestive names and <include>/<exclude> stuff as above.  I
used to <exclude>**/*Performance*.java</exclude>.

>>* Add a <reports> element to restrict reports
>

> Which would we restrict?

Really, I was planning to add a list with many of them commented out for
convenience, like so:

<reports>
      <-- <report>maven-changelog-plugin</report> -->
      <-- <report>maven-changes-plugin</report> -->
      <report>maven-checkstyle-plugin</report>
      <-- <report>maven-clover-plugin</report> -->  (till we have the
license sorted)
      <!-- <report>maven-developer-activity-plugin</report> -->
      <!-- <report>maven-file-activity-plugin</report> -->
      <report>maven-javadoc-plugin</report>
      <!--   <report>maven-jellydoc-plugin</report> -->
      <report>maven-junit-report-plugin</report>
      <!--<report>maven-jxr-plugin</report> -->
      <report>maven-license-plugin</report>
     <!-- <report>maven-linkcheck-plugin</report> -->
      <!-- <report>maven-statcvs-plugin</report> -->
      <report>maven-tasklist-plugin</report>
   </reports>

The one that bogs is linkcheck. That one should only be run
periodically, IMHO.

My main (only) complaint with using maven for build is speed -- plain
ant with a nice build.xml like lang has is faster. Of course you don't
get all of the goodies that way.  So I like to minimize what I ask maven
to do by default. A slim maven build with clover, javadoc, checkstyle
reports for turning the crank, then add more reports for "site
generation".  Just my HO.

Phil