commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Lang 2.0 release?
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:57:54 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
> Very nice maven stuff!
>
> BTW, the checkstyle report complains about "Line is longer than 80
> characters" where I clearly recall reading about a Jakarta guideline of 120
> somewhere, of course, I can not longer find this reference, darn.
>
> Google shows a couple of checkstyle reports that complain about line lengths
>
>>120 so I know I did not dream this up!
>

> Does this ring a bell to anyone else?

The checkstyle.properties file for lang specifies 120. I think I have
seen some other other Jakarta projects use 80. The problem is that the
maven checkstyle task is not reading this file, since
maven.checkstyle.properties has been commented out (since B10 croaks on
the old .properties file format)  I was just writing a note asking if
anyone had any objections to the following changes, which will fix this
among other things:

1. Mods to project.xml:

* Restrict tests to Suites run by Ant build (so maven build does not
have to run through perf and other tests each time)

* Add a <reports> element to restrict reports

2. Add checkstyle.xml "translating" (to the best of my limited
abilities) the current checkstyle.properties (so maven will not generate
so many checkstyle errors)

3. Modify project.properties to refer to checkstyle.xml

Any problem with my committing these changes?

Phil