commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [lang] 1.2 vs 1.4 Was: [lang] Words - for 2.0
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:20:43 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Can we guarantee that the 1.4 built version is bytecode compatable with 1.2?
> Its not nice whichever way around you do it.
>
> How about build under 1.4, then use the jar to run the test cases against
> under 1.2?

FWIW, I have done this both ways with current sources -- build w/ 1.4,
run tests using 1.2 and vice versa.  Both work for me. I also ran
1.4-compiled tests on 1.3 and that worked as well.  I did this earlier
today thinking that I might see performance differences, but I did not
(i.e., the 1.2-compiled code seems to run as fast under 1.4 as the 1.4
compiled version. <disclaimer> This is based on just 2 runs with each
config so is by no means scientific. Also, our unit tests are obviously
not performance tests </disclaimer>).

Phil