commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: UUID Reuse proposal
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:04:26 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Henri Yandell [mailto:bayard@generationjava.com]
>>Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 19:27
>>To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
>>Subject: RE: UUID Reuse proposal
>>

>>Something else to line up for 2.1/3.0?
>

> +1, sounds good.
>
> Gary

I agree. I also agree with Gary that a new package probably does not
make sense.

 From a quick look at
http://www.opengroup.org/dce/info/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt, it
looks to me, btw that this essentially *is* the MS GUID.  It will be
interesting to see how they get the MAC address or if they punt that and
use random bits (giving up the real "G").  In any case, I am sure that
this will make a useful addition to lang.

Phil