commons-dev mailing list archives

From Tomasz Pik <pi...@ais.pl>
Subject Re: [combo] Commons Core release?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:35:53 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> I figured the munging would be unlikely to pass muster. The easy solution
> is that BeanUtils/Net are not allowed into a combo-distribution until
> their dependencies are. So ORO/commons-logging would have to be in it. One
> problem there is commons-logging's dependency on log4j, logkit and
> avalon-framework.

Two points here;
1. here was a disussion of splitting logging into 'api' and
  implementation jars but I don't know what's with this idea;
2. it's compile-time dependency rather then runtime;
I'm also concerned about recompilation of the code.
Note that official release of component comes in source and
binary (compiled) version. And sometimes recompilation may
make code different (OK, I know, in most cases it's J2SE1.4
problem with StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer) but...).

Regards,
Tomek