commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <>
Subject [lang] Fraction.getFraction(double) uses magic numbers
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:48:54 GMT
o.a.c.l.math.Fraction includes a getFraction factory method that takes a
double and uses continued fractions to find a fractional approximation
of the input.  The continued fraction implementation has a hard-coded
maximum number of iterations (25) and maximum denominator (1000).  These
should be documented (and the ArithmeticException if maximum iterations
is reached before convergence).  Better (IMHO) would be to add another
version that takes these as parameters, possibly even replacing the
current method (I think this is new in 2.0, so there would be no problem
with backward compatability).

If there are no objections, I will submit a patch that clarifies current
behavior and adds another method that takes maximum iterations and
maximum denominator as additional parameters.

I would also like to improve the implementation, but this can wait until
after 2.0.

View raw message