commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <ggreg...@seagullsw.com>
Subject RE: Commons popularity
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:15:16 GMT
I think it is important to point out that [commons] is not quite as unified
as one might expect. It certainly took some education on my part and some
getting used to.

There are dependency issues for example, or rather "non-dependency" issues
where components like [lang], [collections], and [codec] could be better
factored to reduce code duplication. It is somewhat ironic that [lang]
provides such basic pieces but that other projects do not depend on it. This
is somewhat against the "eat your own dog food" philosophy.

It certainly makes writing a book about all of this challenging!

But, as the community has decided, for now, independence is better than
co-dependence. This is not true of all components of course, some do overlay
on others.

The main point in all of this is that the projects are very organic and
driven by the needs of each community. Most of this work is done on a
volunteer basis after all and any work done to improve any components is
always welcome.

Perhaps, then, there is a need for a commons project whose sole goal is to
provide architectural guidance. There are many +s and -s to such a thing. I
suspect that most folks would not take well to taking direction from some
ivory tower project. But, hey, it's a thought.

Gary