commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <stei...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [lang] Lang 2.0 release?
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:52:20 GMT

--- Gary Gregory <ggregory@seagullsw.com> wrote:
> I have not looked at the "perf" test but the concept is not new and it is
> valid. A perf unit test, for example, would make sure that a certain bit
> of
> code performs within some time parameter, for example, faster than some
> JRE
> implementation or faster/slower if configured in certain ways.
>
> Gary

I agree.  Performance tests are good -- just maybe not so good as part
of the standard build, since to do them correctly (getting enough data
to be meaningful) generally requires a bit of cpu time and that gets
tedious as part of the standard build.  By "standard build", I mean the
process that I at least go through each time I have made changes --
build, fire off tests, generate javadoc and basic reports, look at
errors, say DOH!, repeat :).  Maven is very cool for this kind of thing
-- you can see checkstyle, javadoc, clover reports "instantly" after
making changes.

A complete set of perf tests for lang would be a good thing to add to
the task list.  I would put these tests in a separate suite, fired by a
separate task, however, similar to what Craig McClanahan has started for
BeanUtils.

I don't know exactly how this will work via maven. Maybe someone else
does? What would be really cool would be to build/grab a maven
performance test plugin. What I have in mind here is something that
kicks off Junit tests repeatedly and (after some priming reps)
accumlates completion time stats and displays these as the test report.
Does anyone know if such a thing already exists?

Phil