commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Commons popularity
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 00:36:53 GMT

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Vikram Goyal wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:03:59 +1000
> From: Vikram Goyal <>
> To:,
> Subject: Commons popularity
> Hello all,
> I need to compile together the popularity of Jakarta Commons in terms of
> daily downloads, activity on the mailing lists and developer interest
> for a forthcoming book. I understand that it would be hard to give
> figures for overall Commons because of so many sub projects within it.
> Does anyone have any information or figures that they could point me to
> that would help in this research?

For mailing list activity, you should be able to count through the various
archives sites -- most of them have summary pages.

As of the moment, subscriber counts for Commons related mailing lists are:
 443   commons-dev
 182   commons-httpclient-dev
 558   commons-user

For comparison, the largest user mailing lists at Jakarta are struts-user
(2759) and tomcat-user (2363)

For download counts, Vadim Gritsenko posts some unofficial (but seem to be
accurate) web site statistics at:

Unfortunately, the commons packages are not separately accounted for --
you might want to email Vadim to see if he can easily separate that out
from the data he's analyzing.

> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

Craig McClanahan