commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang] RC3 util package UUID issue
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:36:41 GMT
The discussion over UUID makes me nervous.

It has been suggested that UUID, together with the rest of the id stuff goes
into a new identifier subpackage. This makes sense.

However, it is unreasonable of us to release a new package, and then
deprecate it in the next release (2.1). It also raises the question of
whether the other two util package classes (BitField and Validate) should be
in the main lang package instead. (What does util mean?)

Solutions:
1) Release as is, we can't predict the future

2) Don't release entire util subpackage

3) Delete util subpackage. Move BitField and Validate to main lang package.
Create identifier subpackage for ids. Release 2.0.

4) Delete util subpackage. Move BitField and Validate to main lang package.
Release 2.0 without ids.

IMHO #1 may tie us to a util subpackage, which I don't like, so #2 is
better. #3 is good, but I prefer #4 overall while ids are up in the air - it
gives us more design flexibility.

Stephen
(who is now getting very tired of 2.0...)