commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:13:58 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "__matthewHawthorne" <mhawthorne@alumni.pitt.edu>
> Java 1.5 is going to have a lot of new tricks, such as the auto boxing
> and unboxing that you're referring to, also generics, enums, etc.  I've
> played with the prototype compiler, and I have to say, the new features
> are pretty cool.  It seems that a lot of the things they are providing
> have been implemented in some way already in commons.
Yes commons is sometimes what I call 'Next Generation Java'.

However primitive collections are NOT going into 1.5, autoboxing is. The
difference is a large amount of performance and memory space. (Autoboxing
will store a 'primitive' list using wrapper classes like Integer.
[pcollections] uses an internal int[] - big difference)

> It appears to be a requirement that all commons code must run on Java
> 1.2, but I'm not quite sure why.  Why is this?  Maybe comons should
> always stay 2 versions behind the current Java version, and bump up to
> 1.3 once 1.5 comes out... is this possible or desirable?

If we can run on 1.2, why not?

Stephen