commons-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [io][vote] FileUtils: decision on style
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:37:18 GMT
Arun Thomas wrote:

> Can someone expound on this "lesson"?  The Developers Guide mentions neither the rule
that "final" should be avoided, nor the rule that a public constructor is required.  I'd love
to know the reasoning - is there some reason that actually derives from the constraints of
lang, or is it due to constraints on how other systems use lang?  I'm particularly confounded
by why the use of final would be a problem.

In my recollection, it has to do with allowing the classes to be used in
scripting environments.  Some Java bindings require "bean" semantics to
work properly.