commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: Daemon Project; set_caps patch and Daemon interface bug notice.
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:41:11 GMT

"Kevin O'Donnell" <kevino@threebit.net> wrote in message
news:3F18683F.8050006@threebit.net...
> Hi Commons - great work on the Daemon sandbox project.  I just put it
> into production in my environment today.  I thought I would give some
> feedback on a few issues I had:
>
>     * I have no idea what "set_caps()" is for, but in my environment it
>       was breaking everything.  I just commented it out and now it's
>       working find.  Should there be an IFDEF added?  My patch is
>       available here:
>       http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/set_caps.patch

I don't have access to a Debian box to investigate further.  If you could
investigate (or at least post what goes wrong), it would be very helpful.
At worst, we could change the configure scripts to detect Debian.

>       The two boxes I tried it on are both:
>       # cat /etc/issue; uname -a
>       Debian GNU 3.0
>       Linux zedd.threebit.net 2.2.19 #1 Sat Jun 9 13:04:06 EST 2001 i686
>       unknown
>
>     * org.apache.commons.daemon.Daemon.init() defines a DaemonContext,
>       but DaemonLoader is looking for  init(String[]).  Which is
>       correct?  I got my stuff to work by defining my own interface
>       (though, since reflection is used, I could have gotten away with
>       no interface at all).

http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/src/net/threebit/daemonexample/
DaemonFixed.java

A common problem with OS projects:  The docs lag what it actually does.  The
daemon has been extended to support classes that don't implement Daemon
(such as jakarta-tomcat-5) by calling init(String []) in this case.  AFAIK,
the DaemonContext call should work as well if the class implements Daemon
(but since I use this for Tomcat mostly, I haven't tried recently).

>     * Oh, and here's a miniscule example of a running service.

http://threebit.net/tutorials/jakarta-daemon/src/net/threebit/daemonexample/
SampleService.java