commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: New commons subproject vs. Configuration project
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:28:04 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Matthijs Wensveen wrote:

> Our idea was to keep configuration information as centralized as
> possible. While it is possible to use multiple configuration files,
> users are encouraged to use only one configuration file.
> Another difference is that our configurator was meant to look a bit like
> a JNDI, no matter if there is a real JNDI on the background or just an
> XML file containing data.

Sounds like my simple-jndi a bit. Although I wrote it to see DataSources
outside of containers, I've mainly used it as a configurator.

http://www.osjava.org/simple-jndi/

> I think that our configuration system is very useful for the open source
> community, but I don't know if  there is place for two different
> configuration systems in the Jakarta Commons project.
> Maybe it's possible to use each others ideas.
> If anyone is interested, I can provide full source, examples,
> documentation and javadocs, or just some extra info.

There are no rules at Apache about having to be only one project supplying
an implementation. I'd move onto supplying extra info if I were you.
Either push up a simple web-site somewhere, or a just a page detailing
some examples if you have to worry about legal issues until you've
broached things with your company.

Finding a way to work with configuration component is probably the best
way [and something I need to do with simple-jndi too] as it stops your
codebase being treated as a new project and having to slowly incubate its
way into Apache.

Hen