commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [release docs] some thoughts
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:46:48 GMT
i'd like to encourage people to submit comments and improvements ASAP. i
will move things around soonish so that these are linked at the main
how-to-release documents.

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 12:56 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Couple of thoughts on Robert's release documentation at:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/
>
> In prepare.html, the manifest description doesn't quite match Sun's. They
> don't mention 'Extension-Name'

this is to do with the java extension mechanism but i forget now exactly
why it's in there. tradition, quite probably. i've done a quick search and
the best link i can find it
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=101804864505521&w=2.

> and they say to include the Manifest version.

yep. missed that out.

> In release.html, it has the builder building the release version in
> their own sandbox. I would recommend that instead it suggest the builder
> checkout the particular tag into their new working directory and perform
> the build there.

that's what i do. probably didn't make that clear

> The entire source tree does not always want to go into
> the build.

the entire source tree shouldn't go into the build. but what goes into the
build should be controlled by the build process, shouldn't it?

(or maybe i'm a little confused.)

> Then after the binaries have been built, I would recommend
> releasing and re-checking out to create the sources.

the new follow's craig original quite closely for the source build. it
says create a temporary directory and then export (rather than checkout)
the source. is this what you mean?

> Also, a -q on the zip -r will be appreciated by the builder :)

i like it noisey ;)

want to volunteer to patch these documents?

- robert