commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Building the commons website
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:19:55 GMT

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 12:31 AM, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 11:13, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>> storing jars in cvs should be avoided (where possible).
>
> Agreed in principle, I've never enjoyed storing dependencies in CVS
> myself.
>
> ....but jakarta-commons build.xml simply references jar files that have
> been checked into another project's CVS module.  Namely, by default, we
> get JDOM jars from ../jakarta-velocity/build/(I forget)/jdom-b8.jar

IIRC this was done for the convenience of those who have most of jakarta
checked out and because no one has ever been to agree on any better
defaults.

> Anyone for a Maven-esque solution?  Or a half-measure aimed at reducing
> the amount of manual work involved...

i'm not really convinced that the trouble of manually adding half a dozen
properties to a build.properties.sample file is so great that we need to
do anything too radical.

maybe we could reference (by default) the jars in jakarta-site2/lib. this
would isolate us from problems with later velocity versions and
jakarta-site2 is a small module which most jakarta committers will want
access to sooner or later.

- robert