commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: New commons subproject vs. Configuration project
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:58:24 GMT
Wow, I've always wanted a JNDI SPI for XML files! I imagined one day
using JXPath as the base for the search/getAttributes/lookup in such a
way as to have the XML content be very open and unrestricted and the
search filter syntax would be XPath.

/* an XmlContext is a DirContext over XML files */
javax.naming.xml.XmlContext ctx = new
javax.naming.xml.XmlContext(Hashtable env);

Element e = (Element)ctx.lookup("/foo/bar[2]");

Attributes atts = ctx.getAttributes("/foo/bar");

NamingEnumeration enum = ctx.search("/foo","[bar/@bam =
'boom']",searchControls);

while(enum.hasNext()){
    Element e = (Element)enum.next();
}

I imagined it would also be used to write attributes, elements to create
new "subcontexts". Imagine, a fully read/writable Configuration
framework... :-)

ctx.modifyAttributes("/foo/bar", attrs);
ctx.createSubContext("/foo/bar", "bam");
ctx.destroySubContext("/foo/bar/bam");

I've been hoping for a way to supply a XML Configuration based
replacement for our current JNDI based distributed config which uses
LDAP servers.

Henri's right, there is room in the commons for multiple
implementations. I think this really promotes a path of
development where really good alternate approaches can exist.
Coevolution can often result in better adaptations to an environmental
condition.

-Mark