commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math][collections] Customized Primitive Collections
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 05:50:55 GMT
Tim O'Brien wrote:
> <snip/>
>
> "rolling" could be implemented using a version of
> CircularFifoBuffer which could accept double primitives.
>
> It would be important to gauge the "Readiness" of the o.a.c.collections.primitives
> classes.  Is there an sense of a timeline for the next collections release?

This is a good point we should discuss readiness with the collections
crew. Note, I think Rodney Wandhoff has handled the primitive collection
development so he is probably the most knowledgeable source for its status.

> Until we get an answer to that, I'd recommend that commons-math not add
> a dependency to the SNAPSHOT for collections.

I changed to the snapshot so we could at least experiment with them. We
should be careful about using these dependencies. I have not, as of yet
started to use them.

Note that in Maven, dependency on a SNAPSHOT during development is
resolved to a "version" on release of a distribution of your project.
You can set dependencies as SNAPSHOTs because the snapshots are just
soft links to a fully numbered version in the maven repository (this can
be a full release or a dated build). When you release, the SNAPSHOT is
resolved to the existing repository version. So your assured of having
the jar you developed against available in the future for download. Also
note that many Commons and Jakarta projects have released with
dependencies on dated jars, though I do recognize its also good to
release with dependencies on solid versions as they stick around longer
and tend to be more stable (in theory).

-Mark