commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [math][collections] Customized Primitive Collections
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:23:25 GMT
Hey all,

After reviewing the needs in [math] for primitive collections and the
available implementations of Primitive Collections in [collections] is
become obviously clear to me that it is logical to refactor the great
DoubleArrays we use in [math] to extend the primitive collection
implementations.

 From the [collections] group standpoint our goal would be to provide
customized implementations of double collections that are capable of
both growth/shrinkage in size and "rolling window" behavior .

 From the standpoint of [math] the primitive tools in the [collections]
library provide an excellent "bridge" to provide efficient primitive[]
storage implementations that work well as both java.util.Collections and
double arrays. While we have allot of discussion about getting our math
package to work great with Collections, the [collections] group may
already have all the tools required to actually manage these
capabilities via their implementations without math needing to "reinvent
the wheel" in this case. And, making [math] work with the [collection]
library just "opens up the hangar doors" in terms of overall usability.
(Brents already exploring this usefull interaction with Frequency and
[collection] "Bag" implementations).

While we talk about code duplication being "allowed" in commons
projects, IMHO, this one place where its a poor decision to continue
doing so. With just a little research and interaction between the two
groups this "bridge" could easily be crossed. I'm willing to do some of
this leg work to accomplish the task given that I've been experimenting
with refactorings that turn DoubleArrays into Collections in the math
package.

Any input the [collections] group could provide on achieving this goal
would be of the greatest help, eventually, such extended implementations
could easily find a home in collections and be available for other
projects as well. As usual, I know you'll all let me know what you think
of this matter. I look forward to your viewpoints! ;-)

Cheers,
-Mark

--
Mark Diggory