commons-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [math][functor] More Design Concerns
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 20:48:43 GMT
Brent Worden wrote:
> And with HotSpot, frequently executed pieces of code will actually start to
> increase in performance as a application runs longer, and in many occasions
> eclipse C or C++ performance.

That's what the Java lobby wants you to believe since the introduction
of the first JITC. You know, there are lies, damn lies and benchmarks.
I can tell you from first hand experience that any well designed Java
program which does some nontrivial processing on a dataset of nontrivial
size is still two to three times slower than its well designed and
optimized counterpart in C/C++ if compiled with gcc, and up to 5 times
slower if compiled with Intel C, even with a >=1.3 Java compiler and
Hotspot on.
Lets face it: Hotspot and modern Javac made Java performance acceptable,
not superior.

The reasons to stick to Java despite this:
- Said well designed C/C++ program can easily take 10 times as much
   ressources in initial development and 5 times in maintenance.
- Java is quite often fast enough. If network message turn-around is
   at 150ms, and the DB takes at least an additional 250ms to answer,
   then there is no point to get processing time from 60ms down to 20ms.
- C/C++ libraries suck orders of magnitude more than Java RT
- There is still some appeal in WORA.

J.Pietschmann