commons-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: DBCP status?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 05:14:52 GMT
David Graham wrote:
> This entire thread has been filled with reasons to not support closing
> abandoned connections.  If you need to have this behavior, you will need
> to customize DBCP for your apps because it should not be built in.
> However, any app that "needs" a connection pool to clean up after it is
> highly suspect.

Err... that's a bit of a blanket statement, and IMHO requiring an ideal
world that I no longer am apart of.

Most of my work these days is being the (Java/app) guru coming in
pointing all the problems that are making the app server crash daily.
(too much writing word docs and not enough code for my tastes, but kids
to feed...)

For one client, an errant search query can throttling Oracle because it
hits some combination of terms that prompts a table scan.  For another,
I think the firewall that is dropping the close-tcp signal so the JVM
thinks the connection is still waiting for something to happen.  And on
and on.

I'm stuck dealing with lots of extremely "suspect" code.  I think a lot
of people downloading Tomcat and others will have similar issues with
errant connections.  I think this need is also what prompted the
original attempt at abandoned connection recovery.

As to how this thread has all these reasons to not close these kind of
connections... I'm sorry, but I've followed every post and have missed
them.  I've seen (and argued) why you shouldn't try to return a
connection in this state to the pool.  There were also some issues with
how it was not coded well in the first place and created unnecessarily
complexity.

If someone could quickly state a few reasons, I would be most appreciative.

> Many Jakarta projects use commons-logging to separate themselves from any
> particular logging implementation.  Implementing listeners is over
> engineering what should be a simple solution.  I believe commons-pool, on
> which DBCP is based, supports listeners for various events.

Dude, sorry... someone had balked on the listserv about adding
commons-logging as a dependency, so this was another idea.  If we can
hook into commons-pool's listeners, then we can use that engineering for
free.

--
Serge Knystautas
President