commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil O'Toole <neiloto...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject RE: [lang] StringEscapeUtils method names
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:54:41 GMT
It appears that Sun engineers will return to lowercase when there's a
possibility of ambiguous meaning due to sequential uppercase
abbreviations, e.g.

 java.net.URLConnection

but

 java.net.HttpURLConnection

It seems that Sun's pattern is to use uppercase for abbreviations, but
never to run two uppercase abbreviations into each other (the point
that gary was making).

Note also that (as you might expect in a project as big as java) there
are inconsistencies in Sun's naming patterns. Sometimes even standalone
abbreviations are not uppercased, e.g. sun.net.ftp.FtpClient (though
this is not part of the public API).

I would argue that sequential uppercase abbreviations are unacceptable,
but that case aside it's really a matter of style. But I think that
everyone finds the lowercase names EASIER TO READ AND TO TYPE ;), and
since we (and Sun) abandon the principle of 'abbreviations always
uppercase', let's go with what's easier to use.

Neil