commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] AbandonedTrace - Connection Recovery
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:38:34 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Juozas Baliuka wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:15:53 +0200
> From: Juozas Baliuka <baliuka@mwm.lt>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [DBCP] AbandonedTrace - Connection Recovery
>

> I do not think it is good idea to maintain any kind of public API for
> "abandoned connections", It is garbage,
> If application or server is not broken, it doe's not need workarounds.
> Workarounds can not help for broken applications any way, it is a useless
> stuff and it infects code with "Observers".
> As I understand it, people want to move problems from crappy applications to
> commons and to blame jakarta, but I think it is better
> to use  the rigth way solve problems and a lot of solotions was proposed on
> this list too.

The observer pattern is by no means useless.  How many people have you
seen ask for a way to accumulate statistics on the use of their pool?
Event listeners are a very practical mechansim for anyone who wants to
support this.  It's also consistent with JavaBean event and listener
patterns that are visible in a very large number of Java APIs.

+1 for supporting events and listeners.  -1 for including standard
listener implementations in DBCP that attempt to do abandoned connection
recovery (that's an exercise that can be left to the user).

Craig