commons-dev mailing list archives

From br...@worden.org
Subject Re: [math] abstact nonsense was Re: [math][functor] More Design Concerns
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:21:22 GMT
> > 3)
> >
> > BTW, probably does the future introduction of Generics (Java 1.5)
> > promise any opportunities to work with primitive values and yet
> > have no code duplication (a bit like STL)?
> >

> I've not spent much time looking at Generics yet. I have allot to
> learn
> in this area.

According to the JSR:
== begin quote ==
It is explicitly not required that the system
b) Support the use of primitive types as type arguments: While
allowing the use of primitive types (e.g., int, boolean) as type
arguments would be nice, it should not be a goal of the design. The
separation of primitive and reference types is a fundamental property
of the Java programming language.
== end quote ==

So, it appears generics are no panacea.  At least not in the Java
universe.

Here's the entire JSR: http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=14

Brent Worden
http://www.brent.worden.org/