commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math][functor] More Design Concerns
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:05:29 GMT
--- "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@yahoo.de> wrote:
> brent@worden.org wrote:
> > I would steer away for primative as much as possible.
>
> Keep in mind that excessive object creation can and usually is
> a significant performance drain, both because it is slow in itself
> despite all kinds of optimization as well as causing more GC.

I think we should consider what the typical use cases will be for this library.
 Of course we could turn out to be wrong about that, but given that it's not
supposed to be a heavy-duty numerics library, perhaps a more purely-OO design
is not necessarily a bad thing.  For instance, if we find that the library is
mostly used to calculate the minimum, maximum, and average of a set of numbers
for a report, and that report is only run once a month, then the efficiency of
primitives vs. objects isn't that important.

Of course we should not paint ourselves into a corner regarding the design.  If
many users start using the library for intensive numerical tasks, it would be
good if the library's design was flexible enough to accommodate any needed
efficiency improvements.

One thing that I am curious about is the design of COLT, which claims to have
very good performance.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou