commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging packaging questions
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:02:33 GMT

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Anton Tagunov wrote:

> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:39:46 +0400
> From: Anton Tagunov <atagunov@mail.cnt.ru>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
>      jpackage-discuss@zarb.org
> Subject: Re: Logging packaging questions
>
> Hello Nicolas!
>
> NM> 2. we'd like the build-in backends split from the main jar so we can
> NM> made them optional and allow people not to install them if they already
> NM> have log4j or a 1.4 jvm.
>
> Lurker's opinion :)
>
> I want to say I like your ideas very much.
>
> war-s are great too, but putting _all_ into the main server classpath,
> be it Tomcat or JBoss generally works too;

Boy are YOU in for some nasty surprises :-).

Doing this wil absolutely NOT work unless the library classes you are
doing them to are specifically designed to work in this manner.
Otherwise, you are very likely to get mysterious ClassNotFoundException
and ClassCastException problems.

> I used to work in this
> style.. And if it was a bit more manageable (what your project is
> struggling for) it would be just fine.

As a pointer to some of the problems you might encounter, please consider
the Struts User Guide's take on putting struts.jar (and friends) in a
server classpath or shared code repository:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/configuration.html#config_add

> I guess problems will come if part of the jars are in WEB-INF/lib
> and part on the main classpath, but if you put all on the classpath
> it will generally work, I believe.

Not necessarily.  Duplicate classes is only one of the potential problems.

> And yes, I've heard that you simlink to WEB-INF-s too.
>
> Now, did I get it right that _despite_ jakarta-logging will be shipped
> as a single jar all your stuff _will_ work okay since jakarta-logging
> will detect what is available on the classpath and what is not?
>
> -Anton

Craig